How to instruct me

To arrange an initial fixed fee meeting in London, please telephone the Clerks at 1 Essex Court on 0207 936 3030, or email your enquiry to

To view my 1 Essex Court website profile please click on this link:!carl-islam/c1xxz.

Alternatively, to enquire about instructing me directly please send an email to

I am a registered Public Access Barrister, and can be instructed directly by:

  1. a member of the public (including an executor); or
  2. an intermediary on behalf of a member of the public (e.g. a financial advisor),

without the involvement of a solicitor.

To read my ‘Guide to Instructing a Public Access Barrister’ please click on this link: LINK

My Practising Certificate has been extended by the Bar Standards Board to authorise me to conduct litigation. In an appropriate case, this permits me to carry out day to day case management activities (including the issue of a Claim Form in any court in England and Wales) which are reserved to Solicitors, and in effect, to offer a one stop shop litigation and advocacy service to members of the public, from evaluation of the merits, evidence, and remedies, through to trial or settlement of the claim.

To download a copy of my Practice Certificate for 2016/2017 please click on THIS LINK.

To initiate your enquiry online please complete a New Client Form by clicking this link and email it to

Before I can provide any legal advice formalities need to be complied with including:

  1. money laundering regulations due diligence and compliance;
  2. signature of a contract for my services specifying:2.1 the scope of work to be undertaken; and2.2 fee structure,which I will email to you for signature and return to me before I start work.

Where a fixed fee has been agreed, this will need to be paid directly into my bank account before I start work.

I can also be instructed directly by an accountant or tax advisor in accordance with the Licensed Access Rules of the Bar (Bar Standards Board Handbook, Part 2, The Code of Conduct, D2.2, rC132-141): and have developed a standard form contract.

A self-employed Barrister who holds a dual capacity practice certificate (for which I qualify and can apply), is licensed to provide any advisory, drafting, and advocacy services exercising full rights of audience, to a firm of solicitors.

A dual capacity Barrister can enter into an umbrella contract for services with a firm of Solicitors to provide advisory, drafting, and advocacy services to the firm’s lay clients:

  1. at the firm’s offices or elsewhere: and
  2. as and when required.

In a litigation matter, the Barrister would appear, exercising full rights of audience, as a legal practitioner providing advocacy services to the law firm’s client. In which case, for the court’s record, the lay client is represented in the proceedings and at any hearing by the law firm, and not by the Barrister.

A law firm website can include the professional profile of a dual capacity Barrister who provides legal services to the firm under a contract for services. In principle such a Barrister could accurately be described as an ‘Associated’ or ‘Affiliated Counsel’.

If you are interested in discussing the benefits of entering into an umbrella contract for services, under which I can provide niche contentious probate and estate planning services to your clients through your firm, please send an email to

From January 2014 overseas lawyers can also instruct and engage barristers directly to conduct litigation in the courts of England and Wales.

‘A barrister can now accept instructions directly from a foreign lawyer to provide advocacy services preparatory to appearing in Court in England or Wales without an English solicitor intermediary. The barrister cannot (unless he has the requisite conduct of litigation extension) step foot in Court without a solicitor (or other authorised litigator) but, if there were some urgent need to prepare for, say, an injunction, [he] could start work on the skeleton argument and oral arguments in parallel with the search for a suitable solicitor, subject to the client or foreign lawyer bringing in a solicitor by the time of appearing in Court.’ A summary note of changes to the rules on international practice published by the Bar Standards Board 20.01.2014.

Under Rs39.10 a Barrister can also contract with a foreign law firm to provide legal services to their clients, which consist of foreign work. Foreign work means legal services of whatsoever nature relating to:

  1. court or other legal proceedings taking place or contemplated to take place outside England and Wales (e.g. in Gibraltar); or
  2. if no court or other legal proceedings are taking place or contemplated, any matter or contemplated matter not subject to the law of England and Wales.

This includes advice about international estate planning, corporate and trust litigation.

For Solicitors my standard terms of engagement are based upon the draft contractual terms agreed by the Commercial Bar Association with the City of London Law Society (the ‘COMBAR CLLS’ terms) as approved by the Bar Mutual Indemnity Fund.